Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Christmas Letter 2008

In case my Christmas letter just lost in the mail on the way to your mailbox, I'll post another.

Greetings Family and Friends,
In keeping with tradition, our annual Christmas letter is going out late. It’s now evolved into a Happy New Year letter. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good explanation for my delinquency except to say that three children has, all of a sudden, increased the chaos level in our household exponentially. My New Year’s resolution is not to lose weight or spend less money, although these would be nice things. My resolution is to be the first Christmas letter you receive next year. Wish me luck.
Our life changed when Henry turned 11 months (in October). Before this, he was a great baby and we were organized (kind of), busy (but not too much), cool, calm, and collected. He has since turned into an absolute handful. These days I feel like it would take more then a super sized life preserver to stay afloat. But, I know that life changes quickly and although the days are long, the years go by fast so I’m trying to relish our chaos and enjoy it. Here’s a quick synopsis of the Bauer family in 2008:
Our baby (Henry) turned 1 in November. When he’s not climbing on the table, emptying my cabinets, or playing in our toilets, he’s cuddly, loving, and silly. He’s SUPER busy and is SO close to walking, taking 5-6 steps at a time. I’ll be thankful when he is walking, because the amount of time he’s spent crawling on the floors of McDonald’s or the sports center is absolutely disgusting. At home, he often wants to be carried, but anywhere else he likes to be down (once again, crawling over disgusting floors). He has mastered a high pitch scream anytime he wants attention (which is pretty much all the time) and loves to show it off at restaurants, grocery stores, or church. I try to explain it to the poor people around us by saying that he has two older brothers and has to scream to be heard. Unfortunately, people still hold their ears and give us dirty looks. I’m not sure his future involves playing well with others, because his big brothers give him anything he asks for (which is everything). His only words are “uh-oh”, “no”, and “hot”. He uses these appropriately all day long. Does this give you a glimpse of our day? Despite all this, we’re going to keep him (for now).
Emmett, our middle man, turned 5 in September. He is in his last year of preschool and has made his first real friend. He also played indoor and outdoor soccer this year, and scored tons of goals. He continues to play the piano AND hardly ever argues with me when I ask him to practice. He’s quiet and sweet and usually says, “OK, mom.” when I ask him to do something. I am aware that this won’t last. At his 5 year check up, we found out that he can’t see well (not my proudest moment). He now wears glasses and is thrilled with all the things he can see that he didn’t know he was missing. He learned how to make the “th” sound just recently. So, Thursday is no longer “fursday” thus taking with him any last remaining glimpse of a baby.
Owen turned 8 in November and is in the 2nd grade. He’s going to be an absolutely excellent litigator someday. He argues with me about everything, including but not limited to: the color of the sky and whether the world is really round. Interestingly, he usually has a fine argument. He exhausts us with his quest for knowledge and non-stop chatter. He’s very, very bright, and his teacher just recently asked us to consider skipping a grade with him (as of now, we’re not going to). His current fascination is tornado and hurricanes. He’s like an encyclopedia about them and can tell you the name of different hurricanes, the year they hit, where they hit, etc. He still loves soccer, but if he can’t be a professional soccer player someday then he would like to move to Kansas and be a storm chaser. Owen loves doing Mad Libs and puts the word “fart” or the derivative of in a few spots in every story. Then he giggles uncontrollably when he reads it back to me. I wonder how long this potty humor is going to last, but then I look over at Eddie who’s also laughing hysterically and I’m preparing myself that this may last FOREVER!
Eddie and I celebrated our 10th anniversary in August with a boating trip with friends (and Owen and Emmett). We’re hoping that by our 25th anniversary, we have more then 12 hours alone…together….consecutively. Eddie coached Emmett’s outdoor soccer team and has formed his own “Team Bud” soccer team. I’ve watched him play and I can vouch that they really do spend a full hour on the soccer field. But, then they spend a couple of hours after “supporting” Team Bud (if you catch my drift) in the parking lot. I’m a Wednesday night widow. It’s not so bad. He has a great time (but not team J). Eddie is still working for Anheuser-Busch and although, Baldwinsville still hasn’t captured our hearts, we are thankful that he has a job that pays the bills (and health insurance) and that I don’t have to work full time. With the changing economy and AB buyout, our future is uncertain. I am still working a little and driving kids around a lot. I have good friends, a husband that I love, and kids that are well behaved (at least in public) more often then not. I get lots of hugs and kisses and a shower at least every other day. Life is good. I spend a lot of time updating our family blog, http://bauerfamilyof5.blogspot.com. Check it out if you have a spare moment. I hope this upcoming year gives you lots of reasons to smile. I hope we all remember how blessed we are. And, I hope that through the chaos, we remember how short life really is. Most importantly, I pray that through each holiday season, my children learn (and remember) more and more about the real reason for Christmas. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Edward, Megan, and boys,

We, Piazza family (Eddie's 1st cousin Laurie) received your family letter and the boys are gorgeous! I always look forward to hearing how you are doing. All three of the boys remind me of Edward when he was little.

Henry has the most beautiful eyes, why do boys always get the fabulous lashes? Emmett looks dignified in his new glasses and is expressing the genetics from Eddie's mom's family. I am glad to hear the Owen is so bright. It is very difficult to decide whether or not to move a child up a grade. I know he will do well no matter what you choose.

Our family had a busy year as well. My oldest daughter, Jennifer, gave birth to her second child, Jeffrey Peter,(J.P.) last April. He was only 3 lbs 7 oz. due to IGR (intrauterine growth restriction). They don't know why this happen as Jenny doesn't have any habits or behaviors that should have led to this issue. The nurses, Megan should know about this, said it can happen for no apparent reason sometimes.

I was in the middle of completing my master's degree, but grabbed my laptop, wrote up sub plans, and went to New Jersey for 10 days. We brought Arianna, age 4, (as of Oct. 29, 2008) home with us for 10 weeks, so Jenny could work on taking care of J.P. It took many weeks of work and visits with lactation consultants to get him solely breast fed, which was Jenny's goal. When I took Arianna back we were all happy that J.P. was doing so well. He is very cute.

Rebecca will turn 7 this January 25th. She did skip 1st grade this year, and is in second. It was a very difficult choice, but seems to have been a good one. However, only time will tell. Rebecca loves to read and devours books. She loves animals and being outdoors. She and Jonathan built a model volcano today with the baking soda and vinegar lava. What a mess!

Jonathan is 19. He is home on a brief break from the California conservation corp. He is working up on the coast of Northern California on habitat restoration. This sound glamorous but his best friend is a shovel. lol I hope he will find his passion and return to college. He loves photography, and conservation.

Sadly, Jeff lost his job due to the economy. However, we will be fine financially. I am still teaching on Travis AFB. However, after 12 years of teaching 2nd grade and a master's degree, I was promoted to 3rd grade. I LOVE teaching. My students are such a source of happiness for me. I am also the VP of our union, and do some additional political work for the CTA.

Boy, I should copy this and make a New Year's letter too. I hope this message finds all of you in good health and spirits. I smile as I look at your handsome sons, and I wish you all a wonderful new year.

Laurie Piazza

Toni said...

So very cool you have Eddie's side visiting your blog and commenting! I'm yet to get much of Keith's side involved!