Thursday, January 8, 2009

Does this help?


005, originally uploaded by megan bauer.


Ready for the answer??


Emmett is standing on his yoga mat. Owen and Emmett took their first kids yoga class tonight. Let me backtrack. When I took Owen in for his 8 year check-up we discussed his sleep habits. He still fights bedtime EVERY night. Gets out of his bed numerous times before falling asleep. Then, falls asleep late. He gets up many times during the night, sleeps w/ his brother, wakes early, etc. etc. He's going to have a sleep study done, too, just to make sure there is nothing biological going on. But, I doubt there is. He has trouble shutting his mind off. So, she recommended yoga for him. (Isn't she wonderful?). Owen was less then thrilled. Anyway, I found a yoga class for him (8-12 year olds) and Emmett decided he wanted to try it, too (a class for 4-8 year olds). They picked out their own yoga mats yesterday and today was the day. On the way there (Emmett's class was first), Emmett said he was really nervous. And, when I tried to leave him in the room, he freaked out and was crying and saying he couldn't do it. But, I asked the teacher if he could lay his mat next to hers and he DID IT! This is a major accomplishment for my middle man. And, best of all, he had an absolute GREAT time. He wanted to know if he could go again tomorrow. Owen's class was next and his, because it was older kids, was much more serious. Em's class had a craft and snack at the end. Owen's was very much like an adult class (yes...I used to do yoga...when Owen was new and we lived in Eville. yes, it was mainly because the teacher was HOT and he gave great massages...but still...I know what an adult class is like). Anyway, you get the picture: candles, chanting music, dimmed lights. And, no snack or craft. But, Owen LOVED it. He said that they are going to learn 108 Sunshine poses (or something like that). The did the dog pose and the rock pose. And, he said she rubbed their backs while they were in the rock pose. He said it was super relaxing. Of course, he still had trouble falling asleep when we got home, but all in good time, right?


BUT, while my children were finding their inner peace my stress level was out of control while there. It's not a studio conducive to chasing very active one year olds. It's two stories and the boys class was on the main floor. There was no where to sit (or wander around down there), so we went upstairs where the adult classes were going on. And, of course, there was a class going on and the door was shut, but I'm quite sure they could hear Henry's infamous screaming. There was a store selling yoga stuff and a little cafe up there. He knocked down water bottles and trash cans. He pulled shirts off the rack. He found a huge metal buddha VERY interesting. He soaked himself in the water fountain. There were lit candles and smelly stuff. A bunch of young, healthy, all organic people walking around looking at Henry like he was from a foreign planet. I think they were trying to be nice, but he definitely interrupted their inner om. I can't try to entertain him there again. After Emmett's class, I took Emmett and Henry home to Eddie who was off work by then. Next week Emmett said he would be OK if I left him there and came back. I hope that's true. Because, my experience was the polar opposite of relaxation.

6 comments:

Jeanne Oliver said...

That is hilarious. I feel for you..especially a place quiet and calm. I want to know about the hot yoga teacher that gave good massages!!! I would sign up.

MAEE said...

I can unfortunately relive every painful moment through your explanation. That's when we ask ourselves I'm doing this why???

Amy Axe said...

I love it! I wasn't sleeping about a year ago and several docs told me to do yoga. It seems to be working for me. I haven't had the problem for 9 months. Good luck! You may need to sign up for a class of your own after chasing Henry around!

iowaguelys said...

I am laughing out loud picturing Henry in the shop! How interesting - sounds like something I would try...I hope it helps Owen!

Rudd Family said...

I hope it helps. It takes Tyler forever to fall asleep, he lays in his crib an hour or two. The more exciting the day the longer it takes. He doesn't complain being in his crib awake, just rolls around, talks and sings, but I feel so bad for him. His pediatrician suggested a longer wind-down bedtime routine. If that doesn't work we might try yoga when he is a little older.

CREATIVE CLICKS PHOTOGRAPHY said...

oh my gosh meg you crack me up! how many extracurricular activities does this make. you have to be the busiest family in america. maybe i should call the networks and get you a show. i LOVE yoga and just started up again, and must admit i am sleeping more soundly. so this place does not sound like it exists in CNY is it the one in downtown L'pool? i bet henry got a good nights sleep after tearing it up though!