Wednesday, June 17, 2009

PA Here WE COME!!!!!

I took Emmett to the doctor. He has this lymph node in his neck that's big and really bothering him. While I was there, I noticed a rash on his legs. Turns out he has Fifth Disease!!! This is actually good news. As I'm telling my pediatrician how great Owen is doing and how he was only sick for a day (if that), she says it's possible that he could have Fifth Disease, too. Turns out before you get the rash....when you are first exposed...you can have "flu-like" symptoms. Then, 1-2 weeks later you come down w/ the rash. AND, you don't always come down w/ the rash. Interesting, eh? So, Emmett was exposed a week or two ago and Owen is exposed now. Hmm...possible, eh? The good news is that once you have the rash you aren't contagious AND when Owen's fever is gone (which was Monday), you aren't contagious.

His pediatrician conceded that it would be very unusual for him to have swine flu, since he was hardly sick. And, the tamiflu shortens symptoms, like to 3-4 days. It doesn't take it away. Owen continues to feel good. He's no longer coughing. No longer has a runny nose. No longer has a fever. I think he either had Fifth disease or some other benign illness. Remember, he had a fever of 102 two weeks ago, too. Because my boys have asthma and typically get sicker then the average bear, if Owen had the swine flu and pneumonia (like his x-ray) showed, he would have been a much sicker kiddo.

So...we're going to Hershey, Pennyslvania tomorrow for Owen's soccer tournament :). We're going to have a great time. We deserve it! I'm just hoping that nobody around us is sick since my kids will catch any sick germ within a 45 mile radius :).

3 comments:

Becky said...

That's great Megan, I hope you guys have a great time!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Have a great trip!

AAB

Toni said...

super SUPER excited for you and the family! Have a WONDERFUL trip!