Friday, April 3, 2009

Much improved!!


002, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

Owen is feeling so much better today. As of this morning they said he would still be in here 48 hours, but he's doing SO well that they are now saying he can go home tonight after he's had a full 24 hours of antibiotics! Yipee! His ENT said and I quote, "Yesterday, he looked way too sick to be in my office. This afternoon, he looks way too healthy to be in the hospital." :)
Owen's first thought after he heard he might go home this evening was, "great! I can play soccer tomorrow." I asked the ENT (because I knew he wouldn't be happy if I told him no.") and the ENT told him he had to have limited physical activity for one week. Hopefully, this means we will still be able to make the trek to St. Louis next Saturday.
I'm still a little nervous that the swelling and pain is going to come back off the IV antibiotics and steroids BUT if it does, I'll know what to do. I won't wait so long to get him treatment next time.
Next time, I'll listen to him more. I'll listen when he says he's hurting really, really badly and not just assume that he's being overly dramatic (as most of you know...he has a tendency to do sometime). Owen is one tough little guy. Do you know he NEVER cries when he gets shots? And, when they put his IV in yesterday and did blood work, he didn't flinch (I have MOMS who cry when I put IV's in them....seriously.) He watched the whole thing and asked questions. When they put the tubed camera down his nose and into the back of his throat, he didn't cry. He watched it on TV. He is a tough cookie. Knowing this, I should have known he wasn't "embellishing" his pain. Next time, I'll know.

7 comments:

JulyG319 said...

I know I said this on Facebook already, but I am so happy to hear that he's doing so much better. Oodles of hugs and love, Julie :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you guys are on the mend! Owen looks so much better in that second picture. I hope that you all stay healthy and have a very relaxing trip home!
A.J.

Rudd Family said...

Glad he is feeling better! Have a great trip in.

Toni said...

Such a relief; so glad things are better!

It sounds like you're being way too hard on yourself! Owen complains about not feeling well and things hurting just about daily. You're an excellent judge on what to investigate further and what to slightly ignore. Heck, this is the first time you've missed something- that's amazing!

Becky said...

I'm so glad he is doing better!

Jeanne Oliver said...

What a blessing...thanks for the update. This whole thing was so scary!

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

hang in there and please don't beat yourself up. you all are doing the best you can. kisses. :* good luck on your way home. btw, i would be one of the moms who cry if ellie had an IV. guaranteed. you're pretty tough yourself!