Friday, September 12, 2008

Emmett's first day of pre-k


IMG_5583, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

Emmett's first day of preschool was yesterday, and I was nervous. He spent the first 6 weeks of the last two years of preschool crying every morning. This is his third and final year. He has one of the same teachers in the exact same room as last year. And, one of his good friends is in his class. He should feel pretty comfortable, eh? Not so much....He was OK until we got in the car and then he started with, "I don't want to go. I want to stay home w/ you." etc. etc. He walked in OK and then he was REALLY nervous. I walked him over to the teacher he knew. He wrapped his arms around my neck in a death grip and refused to let go. With lots of "I love yous and you'll be fines and I know you can do this", I ripped his arms from my neck. He sat next to his teacher w/ tears rolling down his cheeks as I exited. Update: the teacher said it wasn't long before his friend asked him to come play w/ him. She said he did pretty well, although he didn't leave his friend's side. I hope this year brings him LOTS of confidence, because if not, kindergarten is going to be REALLY ROUGH! For goodness sake, he's been at this same school for three years....knows the teachers....knows the kids....and he's still crying. A new school, new teacher, new kids next year could push him over the edge.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Em, you are tooooo much! Just gotta luv him for being such a Mama's boy!