Sunday, June 15, 2008

Why do we bother?

We got up this AM and went to church. It's been a while (I think since Mother's Day). With me working a lot of weekends and being EXHAUSTED the ones I'm not, we've had lots of trouble getting there since Henry arrived. Last year I taught Sunday School and we missed very few...this year, different story. Anyway, halfway to church this AM we realized we had forgotten the diaper bag, which shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's only an hour service after all, but we were going to the store after. Couple that w/ the fact that Henry has been pooping constantly (because of his antibiotics) and has a super ouchie diaper rash. Sure enough, he pooped shortly after arriving. Eddie left to get the diaper bag. I spent most of the remaining service standing in the book while Henry was reaching, grabbing, and jabbering over and over and over. I think he ate a total of two bulletins, one leafet, and one collection envelope. He tried a hymnal too, but decided against it. UGH! I don't want to put him in the nursery and expose him to all those germs, with his tendency to get sick. Eddie and I might have to take turns taking the boys to Sunday School. And, I'm beginning to think we might be in trouble when Henry becomes mobile. He's constant motion in our arms these days.

3 comments:

Spindler Clan said...

I don't think it gets any better even when they are older. Carson won't go in the nursery and he is not quite able to sit nicely through the hour long service. I think GOD knows that we have good intentions but just can't always get there! :)

David Phillips said...

We don't go to church, as you know, but now that Ellie is mobile, I have no idea how we'd do it if we wanted to. Perhaps stay involved through Sunday School as much as you can and devise a way to celebrate your beliefs at home. Sing hymns and play the piano, read the bible out loud, take cues from the home schoolers, etc. Sometimes the personal experiences are the most powerful.

David Phillips said...

last comment was amy, not dave. :)