Sunday, June 29, 2008

Let the crying begin......

I've been reading this book about getting your kids to sleep (well) called, Healthy Habits, Happy Children, and it says that until 9 months babies may still get up to eat once or twice during the night. It says that is OK as long as it's been at least four hours since the last feeding. So, I decided to hang in there until Henry was nine months old. At least, until last night. Henry has been sleeping horribly and he seems to feel better so I'm not sure why. Last night, he nursed and went to bed at 11 pm and by 1 AM he was screaming. I decided that I was NOT going in. I was too tired. Eddie tried to give him his pacifier once and it only made him scream louder, so we let him cry. I turned the light on and started reading while he cried. My mom came out of her room. But, I held strong. MUST HAVE SLEEP! And, after 30 minutes of crying he fell back asleep and didn't wake again to eat until 5 AM. I think that's success. And, I'm happy he only cried 30 minutes. Yahoo! We'll see how tonight goes.

4 comments:

Erica said...

A GREAT book...horray for holding strong!! It took Ry only one night of crying. Julia..well, she's been a different story. I'll hope Henry is more like Ry. =)

Adam Fam said...

Kate nursed once in the middle of the night all the way up to 9 months, and I was really tired (though you know I have always been able to survive on not a ton of seep),and I thought she would NEVER sleep through the night. She is a wonderful sleeper now (until we decide to take her paci away, probably!). There is hope!

life with my boys... said...

That's great. It took me til Max was over 9mos to do that (different book) and the first night was 45 min, then 20, then 5 or so, then BLISS!!!!!!!

Southworth Crew said...

It is hard but you will get there. Keep your chin up!