Friday, January 11, 2008

Supper success!


IMG_2554, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

For Christmas my mom got me the Jessica Seinfeld book, Deceptively Delicious. It's all about adding fruit and veggie purees to recipes to "trick" the kids into getting food and veggies into their belly without a fight. Last night was my first attempt. My good friend and neighbor, Sheila, came over w/ her kiddos ecause both of our hubbies were working late. We made the chicken nugget recipe from the book and added sweet potatoe puree (my dad got me a Magic Bullet to puree!), flaxseed, and other healthy ingredients. And....it worked!!! The kids ATE IT! We ate it, too :). Very yummy! Sheila and I were high fiving one another behind the island after they took their first bites and proclaimed "good!".

5 comments:

Spindler Clan said...

Ok so I forgive you for posting a pic of me on your blog without me first screening the picture!! :) I think that was taken when Carson was doing... "This little piggy" on Henry's toes!

Thanks again for having us over! Dinner was delicious and healthy! Bonus!

Toni said...

Very interesting- how much more work was it to prepare? I guess not too much if you already have a handy Magic Bullet to puree! Cool!

Amy Axe said...

Okay, so I use that book all the time, but my kids HATED the chicken. Kelley and I didn't like it either. What is your trick. The banana bread is so good as well as the pancakes. I have adapted my own recipes and add purees to everything. I add carrots and red pepper to jarred pasta sauces. I add cauliflower to boxed mac and cheese. It works great. I'm glad to worked for you.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I've made a few things from the cookbook, too. I didn't like the chicken nuggets, myself. I used broccoli. Next time I'll try the sweet potato. The pancakes are really good with sweet potato, too. You just may need to double or triple the recipe. I made the brownies and they weren't edible at all! If anyone else liked these, please share your secret. Next I'll try the french toast and banana bread.

Southworth Crew said...

I will have to take a look at this book... I have not seen it yet.