Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Owen playing lacrosse?


013, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

Owen started lacrosse tonight and WOW! what a production. Did you know that to play lacrosse you need a helmet, mouth guard, shoulder pads, arm pads, gloves, lacrosse stick, balls, and a cup??? Seriously, a cup? What exactly are we protecting at age 8? I originally purchased all this (crap!)...I mean, gear. And, it cost over $200.00! The helmet alone was $110.00. But then a soccer player/friend told us we could use his, so I took all the stuff I bought back.

Anyway, we get to lacrosse (this was his first practice) and I can't figure out how to get all this stuff on. The field is full of lacrosse kiids w/ experience and dads who have played back in the good ole days and this is very obviously, Owen's first experience. So, I approached one of the coaches and asked if he could help w/ the helmet. As he's putting the helmet on Owen, this other man runs up to us and says to that coach, "You must make sure this cherub does not get hurt. He IS the future of Bville soccer". I have NO idea who this man is. None. Just reminds you how small town Bville is. Much like Eville....people talk. It was only a few minutes later when someone else walks up to us and says, "Owen Bauer? Is this Owen Bauer? Are you really doing something other then soccer?". Owen thought it was hilarious. And, it was flattering. But, small town.

Back to the lacrosse...Owen hated it :). Seriously. I'm a little surprised. It's very similar to soccer. But, he didn't like playing w/ all the gear on. And, he never could get his helmet on comfortably w/ his glasses. In addition, he's not very good and I think that bothers him. He's used to being good. He wants to quit and I won't let him. At least through this session. I actually thought he did a really good job. Some of these kids have already been playing for years and he seemed to pick it up quickly and was pushing, shoving and battling for the ball. I think he might change his mind. If he doesn't, well then, I'm glad we didn't have to purchase the equipment.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Tooo funny! I can't imagine it won't be too long before he's LOVING it! If he's already pushing and shoving, he's bound to be amazing at this sport too!