Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day


007, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

My hubby is not big on presents. In fact, he really stinks in the present department. I'm used to it and actually, it's OK. What he does instead is arguably better. He treats me like a queen for the day.

The kids woke me up this AM around 830 (this is sleeping in since my kiddos awakened around 6 AM) w/ my fave drink from Starbucks and a bagel toasted w/ cream cheese. Eddie took the boys out the door, without me knowing, to get the goods at 7 AM.

As I stumbled downstairs, my newspaper was waiting for me. And, even better, I got to read it. This doesn't usually happen until about 8 pm every night.

Anytime the boys asked me a question Eddie repeated, "Your mom is off duty today. What do you need?" It didn't take long before the boys got the idea :). I didn't change diapers. I didn't argue w/ rowdy boys. I went to the gym. Tagged items for our garage sale this weekend. And, enjoyed the activity around me w/o having to "do" anything.

We went to Salsarita's for dinner. It's kind of a Moe's/Qdoba type place. Eddie volunteered to stay home w/ Henry, but I said, "Oh no! We all have to go." Note for next year: let Eddie stay home w/ the baby. There was nothing fun about dinner. Henry screamed and wouldn't stay in his high chair. He climbed from booth, to under the table to tables around him. Emmett spilled his drink. Eddie and I half ate and half tried to ignore the stares of those around us.

Despite this, it was a good day. Kids were in bad early. I'm tagging for the garage sale again. Eddie and I are going to watch Desperate Housewives together.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How lovely! I was just talking with another mom this morning about how ironically what most mothers REALLY want for Mother's Day is just a day off from being a mom...and not to feel guilty about that. I'm glad you had a well-deserved break! And I hope Emmett feels better soon. Your story about dinner had me laughing - only because it reminded all too much of recent well-intentioned but ultimately futile attempts to eat out with Leah...

Amy Busch said...

Happy (late) Mother's Day Meg and way to go Eddie! Hope E's on the mend!

AAB

Toni said...

What a FABULOUS idea!!!! Eddie's a rare bird to think of it but more amazing to actually pull it off!!!!!!!! You are such a lucky lady!!!

Jeanne Oliver said...

I swear..you do not age!!!

CREATIVE CLICKS PHOTOGRAPHY said...

i'm jealous of course! way to go Eddie!

tasha roe said...

that picture is too cute! you are such a beautiful mom!! Love the boys and the bunny ears. :) Hope the kiddos feel better soon!!

ann said...

go Eddie! That sounds so lovely! And we had a recent restaurant experience so similar...I was with a few moms and all of the kids were sitting at a table behind me. Here comes the server wondering where to put the plates, and I turned to point where Wyatt's should go, and there I see just his feet sticking up in his chair where his head should be. If it weren't so funny...