Wednesday, September 2, 2009

So proud of my middle man.


002, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

Today was a big day for my middle man. Kindergarten orientation. He was petrified. Absolutely petrified. As the start of the school year has gotten closer, Emmett has gotten more and more nervous. He's not sleeping well. He's been crying more. He's easily agitated and upset. He doesn't do well with change. And, he is SO nervous about going to kindergarten.

Now, he has LOTS of reasons to NOT be nervous. He's very familiar w/ the school since Owen has been there the past three years. He has the same teacher that Owen had and she remembers Emmett's name every time she sees him. And, the biggest reason of all - his absolute best buddy, Troy, (shown here) from preschool is in his class. WHAT does he have to be nervous about??? But he is...that's him.

So, kindergarten orientation (ORIENTATION!!) was today and Emmett was so nervous. As was I. The night before he couldn't sleep (and normally he rolls over and falls asleep...often before I've left the room). But, last night, 5 minutes after I left his room, he ran out in hysterics saying that he was having bad dreams. And, he asked if he would have to take a bus ride tomorrow. Not good. Not good at all.

So, this morning we chatted. I gave him a serious pep talk. You know...I'm all be brave. You can do it. Your teacher probably expects you to help out the other kids who aren't familiar w/ the school, etc.
I don't think it helped. We walked into the school and he couldn't keep his head out of my side. By the time we were seated in the classroom w/ all the other parents and kids, the tears were running down his cheeks. The super sad kind of tears. The quiet ones.

His teacher stood in front of everyone and called the kids in her class to come up. Emmett was all "NO. NO. I can't do it." Crying, tears. More pep talk from me. Finally, miraculously he stood up. Took a deep breath. Wiped his tears off w/ the back of his hand. With a pathetic look back at me, he left me behind. And, I tried really hard to hold back my tears.

When I passed him in the hall later, he high fived me. And, when it was time to go one hour later, he was full of smiles. I asked him if he thought the orientation really helped and he said quietly, "Maybe. But I'm still really nervous."

We have 7 days until school starts and I think it's going to be a rough first few days. But, I think he can do it. He wants to do it. He's trying so hard to be brave.