Friday, September 11, 2009

I am THAT mom.

There has been lots of complaining, comparing, and contrasting going on at my house. Mainly from Owen who is all why can't I have a TV in my room, why can't I take my DS on the bus, why can't I have an email account, why can't I watch(insert any show in here that is rated anything above G....like Malcolm in the Middle, The Fairly Odd Parents, etc. etc.), and why oh why??? won't you let me play the Wii. So and so (insert any name) gets to play it from the moment they wake up until the moment they go to bed.

I've tried explaining to him (rationally) that no child needs to be constantly stimulated by extraneous, technological variables at every point of the day. It's not healthy. It's not necessary. And, we're not doing it. He doesn't care about the rational explanations, so I've resorted to what's probably the greater truth.

Here it is, kiddo, I AM MEAN. No, I don't want you to have fun. No, I don't want you to be like the other kids. And, furthermore, I don't care what you're friends are doing. I'm MEAN, remember? This causes lots of eye rolling and feet stomping...but seriously. That's they way it is and the way it's going to be.

Here is my rationale as explained to Owen in great detail: he is in school and on the bus for 7.5 hours a day. When he come homes, he's tired. So, he gets a half hour to veg in front of the TV. That's it...one half hour a day. TV off. Then, he can play outside/inside, read, or find something else to do. Here's an idea: use your IMAGINATION to find something to do. And, he's going to have to do some homework, he needs to do some assigned reading, and he needs to practice the piano. In addition, he has soccer practice 3 nights a week after school. Not a lot of time. Now, I'm not completely crazy. If he wants to play 1/2 hour on the computer instead of watching TV. Fine. But, that's it. No Wii or DS. Reason? They have a hard time turning it off when the 1/2 hour is up. They're always in the middle of the game.

Since school has started, there is also no TV (or anything else) in the morning. This makes our morning routine...SO MUCH EASIER. And, shockingly...we actually talk to one another. It's really, really nice. Emmett gets up at 6 AM most mornings, and he has been coming down and playing Legos or doing puzzles, since our TV is no longer allowed. It's awesome.

I'm not completely heartless, they get a little more time on the weekends (but not much) and not if the weather is nice and not if their rooms aren't cleaned or their piano isn't practiced (hmmmm...I AM mean)

I have a serious pet peeve w/ the DS. I hate seeing kids playing them at restaurants. I mean beyond the age of 3....shouldn't kids be expected to sit quietly at meals (or color....or do dot to dots). Why don't we expect more out of our kids. AND, there will be NO DS on the bus. I'm shocked at how many kids are allowed to do this. Talk to kids around you. Do your homework. Our kids don't need to be stimulated constantly, do they???

Well, I might be mean, but I'm sticking to my guns. I don't feel super strongly about too many things. But, I do feel strongly about this. Sorry, Owen....I'm going to be mean for a long, long time.

8 comments:

JulyG319 said...

I'm mean just like you! I even went so far as to make a sign for the TV that says "NO TV TIME" and will put it on the TV when they can't watch it. If they start to argue, I just tell them "hey the sign says no TV, so no TV". They don't like it either, but someday, maybe after they become parents themselves, they'll thank us.

Toni said...

YES! My kids don't even own a DS or any video game what-so-ever! I can't stand that junk! Sure, some of it is educational but it's a fine line, and I hate that zombie effect it has on kids!!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Meg! Stand your ground - Owen (& Emmett) will thank you later! :) Although, I do remember a certain someone playing with her blackberry while the 4 of us were having dinner @ The Horny Toad. :)

AAB

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

you go girl! there should be more mean moms like you. :)

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

love the blackberry comment, amy. i'm totally into my iphone and check it all the time. but parents can be hypocrites. otherwise, what will our children have to complain about when they're 20?

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing, but give more freedom on the weekend. The family member that I try to control is my husband and his darn phone! He drives me crazy with that thing. We have a no phone rule at the table too! Good luck!
A.J.

MAEE said...

Eamonn and Owen seem to be channeling each other, ...they have always seemed so similar,eh? I have bee nhaving the same arguments...cell phone, cable tv in the bedroom, a laptop in his room...We, too, have a no tv in the morning and there's no arguing or procrastinating at all. We've avoided the whole tech bus ride thing because Eamonn walks to school but now he's asking to go to the school park by himself all the time now. A horse of a different color! Stick to your guns. And know that he's not the only 8 almost 9 year old having the same melt downs.

Robin said...

What??? Owen doesn't have a Blackberry yet? You must be the lamest mom ever!!!