Saturday, September 5, 2009

The other bad thing about Florida


179, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

(small and minor things...I'd still move there in half a millisecond). Other then Owen's jellyfish sting, the only other bummer about our trip to Florida was Owen's third degree burns.

One point for me as bad mom of the year. In my defense, I sunscreened him multiple times during that day. And, he wore a shirt (a UVA and UVB blocking shirt) some of the day. The other children did not even get red....ONCE...in Florida. But, poor, poor Owen got third degree burns on both shoulders and his forearms. He is so, so fair skinned.

I felt horrible. Absolutely horrible. My children have NEVER been sunburnt before (except for that time my mom forgot to put sunscreen on Emmett when she was babysitting him :)). And, all I could think about was that every severe sunburn that your child gets before the age of 12 increases their risk of skin cancer by a billion. CRAP.

And, it really hurt him. The salt water stung it. And, it really hurt to put more sunscreen on top of it....but there was no other choice. If he put a shirt on and got in the water, when he got out, the salt water from the shirt was like pouring salt in an open wound. Literally. Sucked. And it kept him out of the sun and water more then he would have liked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember not putting sunscreen on Emmett! Mom

Spindler Clan said...

Ouch!!! That looks so painful!

Rudd Family said...

This summer I missed a spot on the top of Tyler's ear and it blistered. That horrible stat kept running through my mind also.