Saturday, October 31, 2009

Braggin 'bout my boys

I was excited about parent teacher conferences this year, mainly because this was Emmett's first year and while I knew he was doing well, I didn't really know what he was doing in class. I couldn't wait to hear more about him. Turns out he's doing awesome. His teacher said that he's like a little sponge and "soaks" up everything she tells him. She said that he's a good listener and that he always behaves as he's expected. He's in the top reading group and is in the top 2 or 3 of her students. And...(this part is my favorite!)...he participates!!! He answers questions when asked. He asks for help when needed. He looks her in the eyes when he speaks and he has oodles of self confidence. What a change he's had in the past year when his preschool teachers recommended we hold him back to give him another year to build his confidence. He's a new child. I know that it's sometimes hard for him...but he's trying so hard. I'm so, so proud of him. And, he's SO excited about learning. He was going to stay home one day last week (I can't remember why), and then ended up going, because he "didn't want to miss any learning." He's WAY into writing and copies the titles of different books onto blank pieces of paper and does work books ALL the time. I'm hoping he LOVES to read, too....since Owen hates it. I want one of my kids to love book stores as much as I do. :).

Owen is doing great, too. He reads on a 5th grade level and his math skills are way above grade level. I've mentioned how wonderful his teacher is, right? She talked a lot about how she differentiates between students when teaching and she told me all the great plans she had for Owen, so that he would never be bored. I heart her. Third grade is a big year, because this is the beginning of standardized testing. They are already practicing for the ELA in April. They took a practice test in September for it, and he got a perfect score (keep in mind - this is BEFORE they started practicing for it. The test isn't til April). He was the only student to do so. But, (and this is my favorite part) she also said what a wonderfully kind student he was and that he was a friend to absolutely everyone. She said that she often paired him w/ another student that might need some reading help, so he could do some peer teaching w/ them and she said that no matter who she pairs him with...he never rolls his eyes, he's nice to that person, and always happy about helping them. And while he is often argumentative and demanding at home, he is NEVER like that at school. Now if I could just channel some of that school behavior to our house.....
In the years that I've been going to parent teacher conferences (and this is the 4th year, not counting preschool), I've never taken Eddie along. Usually he comes home from work to stay w/ the kids, while I go. Next year, I'm bringing him along. It's so fun to hear someone talk so nicely about your kids. He should hear some of that, too. Especially since there are some days that they drive us bonkers. It's nice to be reminded about all of their strengths.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go boys! None of those comments surprise me Megan! You have awesome kids.
A.J.

Toni said...

SUPER FABULOUS! Such an incredible turn around for Em- I luv it! And Owen is downright amazing! Parenting HAS to play a MAJOR role so kudos!