Sunday, October 18, 2009

3rd grade


099, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

I don't think I've blogged about what a super fantastic year Owen is having in third grade. His teacher is absolutely magnificent and is challenging him in so many ways. She's energetic, fun, and acts like Owen is her favorite student (I have a hunch that all her students feel like they are her favorite - she's just that good). And she absolutely adores the purse that I carry - one that my mom made me - so she must be wonderful!!!
Anyway, third grade is different to begin with. I was warned numerous times that third grade is when things change. They are expected to read to learn and there is no more learning to read. It's the first time they have a real grading system. They are graded in a 1-4 system, 4 being the absolute top score. She said that a 3 is equivalent to an A, and a 4 is an A+. She explained that 4's are hard to get and a student has to go above and beyond to achieve that. After she told the parents this at curriculum night, I went home to tell Owen that he would have to work really hard to get a 4 and he was all...that's OK. I think 3's are fine. Stinker! Despite that, my little smarty pants has yet to come home w/ anything less then a 4 :).
This is the first year they've had "real" tests. This Friday was his first science test, and I tell you what...I wouldn't have passed. It wasn't all true and false or multipe choice. It was open ended questions. Like, explain photosynthesis. And, what are the different parts of a seed, etc. Owen got a 4. Didn't miss one.
He has geography homework every week and has his first book report due this month. He's reading the new Diary of A Wimpy Kid. His all time fave book series.
He has homework every night for the first time. And, while it still takes him only 5 minutes, I make him (and Emmett) sit at the kitchen table for a half hour every single day to do homework. When O is done w/ his assigned homework, he can chose a workbook from a crate I have full of different workbooks, or he can read.
He's having a great year. 3rd grade is the real deal. Full of lots of learning and he LOVES every second of it.

3 comments:

Toni said...

Totally AWESOME!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

Great to hear!

Alison said...

As a former classroom teacher, can I suggest that you please let both the teacher and the principal know how happy you are with the placement? All too often, we only hear from dissatisfied parents, and the principals get slammed every year by parents who want to pull their kids and have them placed in a different room. The "happy" letters are few and far between, but oh so appreciated!

Glad to hear that the year is going well.