Friday, August 28, 2009

Owen't holter monitor


004, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

A month ago, Owen saw a peds cardiologist after he had bradycardiac episodes (low heart rate) during his sleep study. His EKG was normal, but the cardiologist heard a "click" that he was slightly concerned about. He said that it sounded like a mitral valve prolapse, but that mitral valve prolapses are essentially nonexistant in 8 year old boys. So, he wasn't sure what it was. He said to come back in 6 months and if it was still there they would put him in a holter monitor and follow up from there.

But, on Wednesday, I got a phone call from the nurse saying that the doctor, after reviewing his records, decided not to wait.

So, today we went back to the peds cardiologist to have a holter monitor placed. He has to wear it for 24 hours and he's supposed to maintain his normal activity level. Well, he doesn't have any soccer activities scheduled for today, so I'm going to make him jog some laps around the block and sprint some. On his soccer game days, it's not completely unusual for him to play for 4 games in a row. I want them to see his heart when he does that.

I'm sure it will be fine (I tend to think that about everything and I'm not always - or often - right), but I'm praying that they don't find something that would lead them to tell him that he can't play soccer anymore. Can you imagine me telling him that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Megan, I'll be praying that everything is all right for him. I'm sure that it is! What a crazy thing to go through, but always better to error on the side of caution.
A.J.

Robin said...

What were the results? Is he OK?

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

so what happened? everything ok?