Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Admitting defeat....


002, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

I did something I said I'd NEVER do. I feel like it THIS is the key to successful, easy potty training. I was beaten down, defeated, and (embarassingly) had little patience. I put diapers back on Henry. Is he ready to be potty trained? YES! Am I ready? I guess not....

Thursday and Friday, Henry had only ONE accident each day. Saturday he had a few. So, Sunday Eddie took the big boys to mine for diamonds at the Herkimer Diamond Mine and I spent the day getting Henry to the potty. The morning it went great. No accidents. The afternoon was a different story. He flipped on me and decided to be defiant. He got made when his trains wouldn't stay on the track and threw them. He took a drink out of his cup (he doesn't do sipee cups much anymore) and dumped the whole rest of it on the ground, he now refuses to sit in his high chair (even the kind that pulls up to the table), and in the middle of all of this - he peed and pooed...every where....constantly. What the heck? He obviously got up on the wrong side of the crib. It was SO frustrating! He would tell me EVERY SINGLE TIME when he had to go and I would say , "Hurry...run..to the potty...let's go...let's go". He would say no and literally sit down. And, since I'm not pulling him there, I'd walk away and he would stand up and pee. Not once. Not twice. Over and over again. Sunday afternoon.

Monday - I resolved to be more patient. It lasted for 2 hours after we woke up after which point I put a diaper on him. I folded. He won.
I did what I swore I would NEVER do. I went back to diapers.

So...now...I'm not quite sure what to do. He tells me when he has to go potty, still. Even though he's in his diaper. He's young, but he's ready. I'm all "OK...let's go potty" and he's all "no" and then he goes in his diaper. What's a girl to do?

My plan is to completely ignore the potty thing for 2 months and do it again. That time, I won't fold. I promise.

2 comments:

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

i hear ya - ellie is doing the EXACT same thing. when you figure it out, let me know.

Anonymous said...

take those undies off lets see what you have