Sunday, August 30, 2009

My new adventure

A while back I got a email from my college days. My pledge daughter from Alpha Phi, who now works for Alpha Phi International, knew that I was in Syracuse and asked if I would consider being a chapter advisor. My first thought was all BABYSITTERS!!!

Fast forward to today and I just came from my first Alpha Phi Chapter meeting in 11 years on the Syracuse University campus. I am the advisor to the new member educator (a position I held in college). I had some orientation over the weekend and I've met with some other advisors over the weekend and throughout the summer, and I'm ready.

Tonight, I met the girls. It was so much fun. A huge room of college girls, and the energy absolutely radiates from them. You know the scene: lots of hugging, kissing (they have all just returned to campus), screaming, giggling....ENERGY! I loved every minute of it.

Many of the girls introduced themselves to me after the meeting, and believe it or not...the current chapter president is from my hometown, Edwardsville, IL. And, my college brother, Brian, knows her. What is the chance of that? All the way out here in Syracuse, NY!

Their chapter house is absolutely gorgeous and this Alpha Phi chapter is the very first in the whole country, the Alpha chapter.

I have a key to the house and I look forward to stopping by and bringing my little men for lunch and dinners here and there. The energy of these women is revitalizing. I can't wait to soak it in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! This sounds RIGHT up your alley! :)

AAB

Adam Fam said...

Meg,
That is so cool! What a small world, and to think it all started in a booth at Steak n Shake!

Love,
Amy

P.S. Tell Laura G hi! Is Allison Hoyt on Facebook? I would love to send her an e-mail!

Toni said...

TOTALLY up your alley! You're the PERFECT adviser!!!! Can't wait to hear all the stories!