Thursday, September 23, 2010

School Picture DAY!


005, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

School picture day is always interesting at our house. I have to prep Owen well in advance that he will not be able to wear his sweats to school that day. He must wear something a little nicer. No t-shirts. No sweats. We seem to be able to compromise on a nice bottom down shirt - that he can take off right after his photo.

But, then we fight about his glasses. He loves his red goggles. LOVES THEM. He links them to his identity. He is convinced that some day is he is going to be a professional soccer player. And he will be different. Memorable. Because he is little and wears red glasses. He's convinced. He's hard to argue with. But, I did. I told him he must take off his glasses (or put on his nice ones) for the photos. He was sad. Argued more. He reluctantly relented. I drove them to school as I always do. As he jumped out of the door, I called him back. I told him that he could wear his glasses. He gave me a smile that I won't forgot.

What happened? On the way to school, I thought about it. I decided that I didn't want to alter his perception of himself. I thought that it might be fun to laugh about it many years from now. Isn't that what school pictures are about?

I made his day. I'm happy about that.

Side note: I can't get over how blond Owen's hair has gotten again? It seems so foreign to our family. It makes me smile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was noticing how blond Owen's hair was, too, before I even read your blog. Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, letting Owen wear his red glasses is why your a great Mom, too. Love ya, Mom

Nicki said...

Aw, I'm glad you let him wear his glasses for the picture! You're so brave! It will make him happy, and everyone who KNOWS Owen will probably be amused and understanding about his goofy glasses picture!

Toni said...

How is that hair SO blonde again? Just nuts!
You're SO right about the glasses! It would have killed me but you saw the light soon enough!!! Well done!