Thursday, March 27, 2008

Suggestions???


IMG_3411, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

Henry had his four month check up yesterday, and he didn't get any vaccines as he is still wheezing. Although, she said we can go down to nebulizer treatments twice a day. He was 15 pounds 4 ounces (60th %) and 25 1/2 inches (70%th). He's still the littlest Bauer boy at 4 months, but considering he got down to 6 pounds 8 ounces and spent a week in the hospital eating nothing, he's gained the most weight.
His pediatrician recommended starting him on cereal (1 tbsp a day) and working our way up to 4 tbsp before starting veggies. I was kind of hoping to hold out a little longer...but she thought he was ready. So, all you mom's out there tell me how old your babies were when you started food. I need to weigh my options. Owen was 5.5 months old and Emmett was just shy of 4 months.

6 comments:

life with my boys... said...

I waited to start my kids on cereal until they were ready. Max was 4 months, Zach was 7 months. Seems to have foreshadowed their habits now....

Anonymous said...

We started the boys on cereal at 5 months and veggies/fruit about 3 weeks later. A lot of pediatricians around our area are now saying wait until 6 months for cereal. So, we did in between at 5 months.

Maggie

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I have read that waiting is better. They are starting to link diabetes with early start of solids. I've seen articles about it lately. I think it is all a guessing game and he will tell you if he is ready. Lauren and Cooper were almost 6 months and a little after 6 months. He looks quite healthy to me. Couldn't be any cuter. Good luck. I'm glad he's feeling a bit better. I hope that you are getting some sleep.
A.J.

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

I agree with everyone else. Wait until he tells you he's ready. If it's a sleeping through the night thing as we talked about today, I'd recommend 1/2 breastmilk 1/2 formula bottle - the extra calories will help him get through the night. He looks healthy and lovely.

Spindler Clan said...

Keaton was a chow hound and was definitely ready for cereal at 4 months but Carson didn't start until 5.5 months, but didn't really like cereal...did much better with the veggies and fruits. Funny how K is still a big eater today and Carson is still loving his veggies and fruit! My little broccoli eater!! :) Meg, I think Henry is a very healthy looking baby and doesn't look small or little by any means. I agree to wait until he is giving you the signs that he is ready. Keaton was actually sitting on my lap at four month trying to reach out and grab my food. :) So he was showing a huge interest in food along with the fact that he was wanting to nurse constantly. I think he was just growing so quickly that he needed more than just the breastmilk. The nursing constantly died down dramatically when he began cereal so I knew it was the right choice for him.

Anonymous said...

meg i'm a little late on this but i started sophia at 4mths as she was a light weight, and logann who weighed the same exactly as henry at 4 mths! didn't get any til 6 mths, dr's orders as she was a chunk and a every 2 hr nurser! : )