Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Is 8 too young for a sleepover?

What do you think? Owen was invited to his first sleepover. I'm thinking...he's not going. I don't know exactly why not? I think a bit of it is that he doesn't sleep well at my house. He's up in the middle of the night, often. And, I'm thinking other parents might not be thrilled w/ him crawling in the middle of them. I don't even think it would get that far. I'm quite certain he wouldn't fall asleep and I'd get a late night phone call. But, I think the real reason is....I'm not ready. I'm not ready for him to be gone from me at night (yes, yes I work the night shift sometime. But, he's still at our house w/ Eddie). And, the amount of times he's EVER slept apart from me is so, so few that I could count them on one hand. And if you take out spending the night w/ my mom at her house, I think he's only spent the nights other places three times (EVER). One at his aunt and uncles (Nicki and Eric) where, by the way, he promptly got the stomach bug and threw up at their house. And, his Godparents, Amy and Jeff. And, his dear, dear friend and babysitter, Andrea. That's it. I think I allow him to go and pick him up when the other kids are going to sleep....around 10 or midnight. What do you think?

7 comments:

Jeanne Oliver said...

I think it matters the family. Jack and Madolyn have both done sleepovers, but with our closest friends. They did great and had a ball.

Spindler Clan said...

My thought is the same as your friend Jeanneoli! How well do you know the family that invited him?

Anonymous said...

I would leave it up to Owen, as long as you feel comfortable with him staying. I would take him to the party and if he wants to come home just have him call you. CJ had a sleepover for his 8th and we had one go home around 11:00 or so. Kristen has been having them since 5 or so.
Jill.

Amy Axe said...

Both my kiddos have had sleepovers with the Reynolds and family. I think that it depends on your comfort with the family and Owen's comfort being away. My friend Amy slept on the couch because she knew that Cooper still came into our bed at night. I knew that she would comfort him if he needed it. Good luck, sleepovers are a bit scary!

MAEE said...

I wouldn't let Eamonn sleep over until he would sleep through the night alone. That happened to be when he was six. He had a great time. But it was an incentive for him to sleep alone because all his friends were going to be there.

Toni said...

Yes, I agree...until he sleeps all night on his own, he's not ready! Obviously, a family that is are close family friends would be different.

life with my boys... said...

Honestly,
1. Only if your know the family REALLY well.
2. Not until he's sleeping through the night in his own bed, that's what you told him!
3. Stay firm...his sleep habits drive you crazy!