Monday, March 9, 2009

Sleep study results


003, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

I spoke to the boy's ENT tonight (their referring physician) about the results of their sleep study. It was really, really interesting. I was on a cell phone as was he and it was a bit hard to hear, so I didn't get all the information I wanted. He's mailing me copies of the report and after I look them over we are going to talk again. But, this is what I know. Emmett's was worse then Owen's. Emmett had 41 respiratory events and hypoxic episodes. These are apneic events and he had enough of them that he is classified as having a mild sleep disorder. The sleep doctor recommended "surgical intervention". My ENT said his oxygenation dropped during these episodes, but not enough that "he needs to go to the ICU now until surgery is done" (well, that's good). Surgical interventions include removing adenoids (which both he and Owen have already had done) and opening up his nasal airway. I'm not excited about these ideas, and he said we could try nasal steroids for a while to decrease nasal inflammation and repeat the sleep study in 6-12 months. I have to read the report and go from there...but I'm certainly NOT pro-surgery. It's interesting though, because Emmett is the one who sleep a good amount (I can put him in bed at 5 pm), but often seems EXHAUSTED during the day AND it's not completely unheard of for me to lay down for a nap w/ him again by 10 AM. This totally fits w/ a sleep apnea diagnosis. It's one of the classic signs. It also makes me wonder, because the week he went I thought he was doing OK, but there are definitely weeks when he snores like an obese, 80 year old, 2 pack a day smoker. I can hear him stop breathing on those days. It makes me nervous. I wonder how many apneic episodes he has on those days.

Owen had a few apneic episodes, but not enough to be considered a sleep disorder. However, he asked if Owen had a history of a heart condition. Ummm...no. He said his heart rate dropped really low while he was sleeping (40's) and this can be normal, but was unusual because his pre-sleep heart rate isn't that low. It is common for highly conditioned athletes to have low heart rates and I'm not sure if it's possible for an 8 year old to be a highly conditioned athlete. But, if any 8 year old is, then it's Owen. He can run continuously for 4-5 straight hours of soccer games without getting tired. I'm to follow up w/ the pediatrician about that. And, they said he grinds his teeth horribly (duh!). Follow up w/ the dentist for that.

As luck would have it, my mom's dearest friend 's (35 years worth) daughter, Ashley (who I grew up with) is married to a neurologist specializing in sleep disorders. Convenient, eh? I'm going to send the report to him. Consider yourself warned, Brad :)

5 comments:

Amy Axe said...

Wow, that is so much to take in. It is a blessing that you figured all of this out before Emmett starts school. It will give him so much more energy when you get things figured out. My step dad was a totally different guy after his apnea got under control! Good luck and keep us posted.

Crazycarmella said...

Wow......so crazy....How do you handle all of this? I would be going bananas....

It makes me want to go take these test...I've always snored horribly......

Good mommy for figuring this out!

JulyG319 said...

Like Amy said, it's a lot to take in but at least now you know what you are dealing with and can go from here.
I wish you all the luck in the world in getting this all worked out and hopefully you will be able to avoid surgery!!!!
Hugs, Julie :)

Jeanne Oliver said...

Oh my goodness. I can't believe all you figured out. It will be interesting to read the report. I hope Emmett doesn't have to have surgery.

iowaguelys said...

sheesh! I haven't read your blog in a while - and I had some catching up to do! I was wondering what ever became of the sleep studies...how interesting. It will be good to get it all under control so the boys feel their best.