Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thank YOU!

Wow! I got SO much wonderful advice from you all about what to do w/ Owen. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write your thoughts and opinions. I have read and re-read everyone's comments and still haven't come to a final decision. I'm leaning toward doing nothing. His teacher has been doing a lot of w/ him (those 4/5 days a week he's there) and Owen is currently more content. I'm thinking about spending some money on activities he may enjoy and enrich him, like Spanish. He's begging to take Spanish lessons. Anyone know who offers this? We're going to the MPH open house tomorrow, just for fun, but I really can't go into debt over this. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

life with my boys... said...

As a former gifted ed teacher, I would keep him with his peers, possibly bump him up a grade. This is usually recommended prior to 3rd grade, but it sounds like a pretty unruly group of 3rd graders this year. I know MPH's financial aid is very little. There are foreign languages offered out there...google around a little. Many of the tutoring agencies offer enrichment as well as remediation and they won't break the bank.
Most importantly, let him be a kid, no matter what he wants. He's only a kid once. I think educators lose sight of that.
Also, I have a ton of simple things that you can do with him to enhance his homework in my gifted ed boxes downstairs. They are all designed to stretch what they are already doing in the regular ed classroom, just enrich the lessons and turn them into more critical thinking rather than rote response. Remind me and we'll set up a day to look through some stuff together!