Thursday, November 6, 2008

Last day of 7 years old.


223, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

This photo was taken yesterday. It was Owen's last day of being 7. I'm having a HARD time thinking about the number 8. As he has reminded me, over and over and over, in 10 years he will be voting FOR REAL! I'm having a rough week, too, w/ lots of big decisions to make. As many of you know, I have been searching everyone's brains for different thoughts and opinions. I tend to be one of those people who like to listen to many different points of view before making a decision (remember my baby name poll?). Anyway, I'm going to share the story and if you have a thought....I'd LOVE to hear it. I went to Owen's parent teacher conference last week. I knew that he was doing well in school and I was prepared to talk to the teacher about his complaints of being bored. We seem to be having this conversation w/ every teacher he gets. I had told his teacher my concerns a few weeks ago and so he was prepared. What I wasn't completely prepared for was the different solution options he gave me. Let me start from the beginning: Owen is somewhat bizarre (as many of you know). He LOVES workbooks (and has been doing them religiously since he was three). He LOVES to talk and is WAY more comfortable w/ adults and older children then his peers. He doesn't have ANY super great friends (he invited NO ONE from his class to his birthday party), but his teacher called him a "floater" - meaning he floats around the room playing w/ everyone. More importantly, he doesn't CARE! I can put him in any situation, any class, and he could not know a single person in the room and it doesn't bother him. He's mega confident in his own skin and loves to perform and be the center of attention (remember him as Tiny Tim?). And, he's a RULE FOLLOWER. He can not fathom why anyone would not listen to the "rules". He has lists for everything and has a notebook filled w/ different lists (remember the hurricane one?) . His new list is a graph of all the different boy/girl names he can think of and how many start w/ each letter. I remember him doing a "how many people speak different languages" graph last year. He's a master litigator and argues EVERYTHING w/ me. Unfortunately, he often has good points and I have to listen to his reasoning. And, he tends to have OCD tendencies. His obsession w/ soccer started 2 years ago w/ no signs of fading. He would choose learning or workbooks over playing (unless it was soccer). He's an old soul.
OK...back to the story. His teacher told me that at the beginning of the year his reading was at a 30. 2nd graders are expected to be at a 28 by the end of the year, so he's way ahead there. And reading is his WORST subject. He's really a math and science kid. And, I know there are MANY very bright kids in elementary school, but the problem is he is DEMANDING MORE! He is major irritated when kids in his class are off task and he finishes all of his assignments really early, so then he goes to the computer to do work or he walks around helping other students. He rarely brings home homework. And, he's bothered. He wants to be learning more. He complains.

Solutions as posed by Owen's teacher: skipping a grade, homeschooling, private school, or nothing.

This is Eddie and my big debate right now.

Skipping a grade. His teacher thought this was a possibility and Owen would do fine (keep in mind that the cut off is December 1 here, so technically he could be in third grade, anyway. Although, he would then start college at 17, be a college senior at 16, etc.). The problem w/ this per the teacher is that the third grade class is WILD. And, Owen would be SUPER bothered by their inability to focus.

Homeschooling. OK...I have some homeschooling friends that read this. Thoughts? My initial thought is NO WAY. I don't think I can do this. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be any good at it.

Private School. There is a private school in Syracuse (MPH) that my dear neighbor has been telling me Owen belonged at since kindergarten. We are going to an open house there on Sunday. It sounds like a great fit for him. Small class sizes (1:7). Spanish or French instruction starting in K (he LOVES the idea of learning Spanish!) And, because you have to test into the school, all the kids are bright and focused. They only accept a small amount each year and there's a huge criteria to get in: testing, dramatic art experience (which he has), has to play an instrument (he's been playing piano for 2 years), recommendations from current principle and teacher. I think we're going to check it out...he may not even get in. This sounds like the best fit, but OMG!!! MONEY! We're talking 14,000 a year! No joke! They offer financial aid packages, but seriously, how much financial aid would they have to give me to make it affordable???

Do nothing. I think his teacher is doing a good job w/ him now. He had him do a research project to the class (the only one in his class to do so), and he's pulling him out to do multiplication and extra reading. He's also sending him to the library if extra time permits to work on research projects w/ the librarian. And, he's going to be doing a power point presentation to the class soon. He has also assured me that there is a third grade teacher (for next year) that will push him hard and he will make sure he's in her class. Problem? His teacher is not tenured and he is out of the class ALL THE TIME! I mean 1-2 times per week at meetings, etc. Which means LOTS of subs and lots of doing NOTHING!

Oh, what to do, what to do. I'm trying to keep in perspective. Like maybe this isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it. But, I want to make the right decision for my child. I'm afraid that this huge desire to learn will diminish if I don't feed it. But, I also don't want the other kiddos to lose opportunities because all of our money is going to one AND I don't want to go into debt.


HELP! Do you have any suggestions? I'm taking any or all comments, ideas.......I know many of you have education backgrounds or your own personal experiences to share. Anything that might help me make a decision would be appreciated.

Final note: I've also been told that kids typically don't start to demand more until 6th gradeish...so if he's already bored and begging to learn more I really need to do something!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, ((((hugs)))))!

Second of all, I vote for either doing nothing (but keeping him engaged in various challenging activities at home and letting him "explore" his mind in his way) or skipping a grade. I think it would be easier to skip a lower grade (socially) than to do it in late elementary school. And, he's seemed to have had this problem in K, 1 and now 2 (so it's not just an "easy" year this year).

Also, I don't think skipping a grade would have a detrimental effect on him socially. He's always been able to adapt and he genuinely seems happier when he's being intellectually challenged. Don't forget, Jeff started college at 17 because he has a Sept bday and neither he or I feel it hurt him. I feel that the late bday cutoffs can negatively affect "gifted" students because those students generally tend to be mature enough intellectually and socially to be in a school setting at a much earlier age, but they are not simply because they have a late birthday.

I would not go in to debt to send him to a private school at age 8.

Just my two cents. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for Owen and your family. You always do! :)

AAB

Toni said...

Happy Birthday, Owen! Eight is SO BIG!

I lean towards 'do nothing'. I'm certain between you, the teacher, the librarian and how about a GT teacher (?) you can map out a consistent 'plan' to keep him engaged and busy all year. I can't imagine his drive will diminish- it's just not his personality at all!

I'm sure no matter what you decide, it'll be the right decision for everyone!
XO

iowaguelys said...

Since I went to a private school, I lean a little that way. I was always at the top of my class, so they PUSHED a small group of us to do more (foreign language, etc). But, I know it was a sacrifice for my parents financially. At least look into it and find out how many grants you qualify for before you decide...there are quite a few pros.

I've thought about homeschooling, too, but just a fleeting thought! HA!

Annie

Jeanne Oliver said...

Hey,
I can't write everything I want to say....email me and I will give you my number or email me your number.. I have a couple of good suggestions. Talk with you soon.

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan,
That really stinks for you guys and Owen. It is hard to be bored at school. I think that doing nothing as far as school goes and putting him in some language classes or something that really interests him may do him some good. I would think that his teacher could really work with you guys. I also don't think that skipping a grade will hurt him, but I wouldn't put in off any longer. It gets harder the older they get. I have some wonderful friends who homeschool and they do an amazing job, but it is quite a commitment for your family. I'm not sure that it would work with all of your schedules. It would be something to look at, but everyone that does it says that you need to do all of your kids or none. Jeanne would be a great source of info on that. I couldn't see spending the private school $. Use the money for enrichment classes. You and Eddie will make the right decision, just go with your gut. You are both great parents. Enjoy his birthday tomorrow. Can you believe that they are getting so big. It just kills me to think about it. Good luck.
XO
A.J.

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

hugs from me too. meg, i'm going to send a link of your message to my mom. she taught and was an administrator all her life. she'll have good advice for you.

dave's birthday is in november, so he was always the youngest in his class. aside from some issues of not having hair where you want it in the locker room, i don't think he was scarred.

re: homeschooling. yikes. there are some that really advocate for it and it probably is a good deal, but you don't get the social benefits of forced interaction with kids you may or may not like. this is important.

re: private school. again, yikes. i don't think private school makes much of a difference until you're in junior high, so not really worth the debt. have you looked up the ratings of your school? if there are better districts near you, you could move. again, not a great idea.

i would do what most are saying here - stick it out in school and do what you can outside of it to let him learn at his own pace. dave's experiences in his school district sound very similar - bored, slow, no homework. he just read a lot.

hang in there. hugs and kisses.
amy

Grandma Faye said...

Hey, Megal...Amy sent me your link and asked me to comment, so here goes...

As you well know, parenting is never easy...each kid comes in with their own personality and set of skills that both the parents and the kid are trying to figure out and learn about no matter what age and stage. You and Owen are learning about what's going to work for him. Don't put too much pressure on yourselves or on Owen to do what is right/perfect... nothing is perfect...there really is no right or wrong, just what after having thought about it, seems the right thing to do at the time. Be sure to relax and enjoy each age and stage...before too long their grown and having babies themselves. Besides, if it's not right he can tell Oprah about it when he's older:)

Having said that...what does Owen want to do? What feels good to him? Ask him how he can challenge himself, staying within the "rules" of school. In the long run, he's responsible for his learning. We as parents and teachers set the stage, support him through providing opportunities and challenges in a variety of contexts, but ultimately he has to learn to learn in all situations...both in and out of school. It's his life and his responsibility...as hard as that is for us parents to accept.

From what you describe about the situation, it sounds like the teacher is trying to provide opportunities and challenges within school, you and Eddie are providing opportunities and challenges outside of school, and Owen is finding ways to keep himself at least busy and constructive...if not always challenging...within the classroom. It doesn't sound like he's getting into trouble or causing trouble and that is good. You and Eddie have provided a very rich, learning environment as a base...and that is wonderful. Owen is benefiting from it...and that is very good. However, not everyone coming into school has that same fortunate baseline. While I don't really know Owen, his classmates, or the school system you are in, in general those that don't come into the school system with that same fortunate background catch up with those that did by the time they reach or end 3rd grade. Those that do come from rich environments do not always find the first few grades that challenginng. However, most kids begin finding school more challenging at 4th grade and most definitely 5th grade. The key is to keep providing different opportunities and challenges for them to find themselves in the meantime. One of the benefits of providing multiple opportunities is they get to know a greater variety of kids in a greater variety of contexts...and that is good for their long term social adjustments. (We took Amy & Sarah to so many things to help them find what really interested them it wasn't funny...I think I wore out a lot of sets of tires!)

I have every confidence that you, Eddie, and Owen will make what seems to be the "right" decision at the time...and that's okay.

Personally, I am not a proponent of home schooling (others have already stated some good reasons), nor am I a proponent of private schools...life is full of all kinds of people we all have to deal with. Besides, save the money for a really good college. Skipping a grade at this time (unless he changes schools) is very difficult to be successful...particularly socially. My advice: keep doing what you're doing, but you may want to involve Owen a bit more. Also, continue to work with the teacher for him to provide opportunities and challenges within school, continue to expand his opportunities to learn outside of the classroom, relax and enjoy him, and pray...that's what all of us parents do. It will all work out in the end.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Megan - I did my whole masters at Columbia in gifted education so I've got LOTS of thoughts on all this - I'll send you an email...

Happy birthday Owen!