Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Special Day


MVI_3822
Originally uploaded by megan bauer
I don't mean to be sentimental, but today is a hard day for me. It is Owen's half birthday....7 1/2. My first baby is half way to eight. What makes this harder for me is how very little I remember. I don't know if Henry is our last baby or not, but I'm trying so very hard to memorize him...piece by piece. I stare at him constantly. I want to remember his cheeks, lips, eyes, tongue. I want to always be able to remember his scent, his sounds, his smile. But, I know I won't. I'm sure I did the same w/ Owen. I am positive that while I nursed him...I stared. But, I don't remember. It went so fast. And if I really dwell on it, it makes me overwhelmingly sad. I don't remember.

4 comments:

life with my boys... said...

We've had this conversation and I totally understand. I won't be having another baby and mine are six and four. I do remember what they looked like at birth, the first moment I saw them is engrained in my memory (hopefully forever), but much of them between then and now is only immortalized in pictures...

Spindler Clan said...

Time flies! We can't turn back the clock as much as I wish we could, but we need to live in the present and soak it all in while we can, right? I am just loving the fact that we have these blogs which, btw...has anyone figured out if we can eventually print them off as a hard copy? It would be great bound as a journal for our kids.

iowaguelys said...

I had this same exact thought, too!! And i too feel sad when trying to recall Andie or Wyatt while absorbing Sawyer's little details... yet, Andie and Wyatt have all sorts of new, different details as they grow. Will I forget all of these, too, in 5 years?

Toni said...

Yes, yes! This is SUCH the tough part about them growing up!