Tuesday, November 9, 2010

For REAL?


001, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

TEN. ten. Ten. TEN. My baby is ten. It is a little hard to stomach. Owen turned TEN. 10! on Saturday. Where has the time gone???

And, as hard as it is for me to believe that he is 10! It's equally hard for me to believe that I have a child who is 10? How did I become that mom? The mom that's moved away from the temper tantrums, lack of sleep, potty training, starting school mom?? The mom with young children.

My child is now a pre teen. He has contacts. He's getting braces. He rarely goes to bed before 930-10. He spends the night at friend's houses. He stays home alone (briefly). And, he just told me that next year his school has a school dance, AND he can go with a girl. He said he could go with friends, but he might go with a girl. He hasn't decided yet....I am a mom of a pre teen. A 10 year old. An experienced mom. How can I be that old???

At Owen's 10 year physical his doctor recommended buying a book called, "Boys Guide to Becoming a Teen." (went to get it after - he's in the process of reading it already). She discussed having mood swings with him, and making good choices. He is still in a booster seat (which he is MOST unhappy about), because he hasn't reached the required 80 pounds yet. Must be 8 years and 80 pounds. He's got a way to go. Although, he had a decent growth spurt from 9-10 years old, and went from 20th% in height (at age 9) to 40th% in height. Moving on up!

Vital stats:

Height - 53.5 inches (40th%)
Weight - 68 pounds (50th%)

Owen wanted to celebrate his birthday with a slumber party, but our house is in a state of serious repairs (post-flood repairs). So, we suggested that he invite 4 friends to spend the night with him at the Embassy Suites. They can swim. Hot tub. Hang out. Cause general mayhem. Etc, Etc. He thought that sounded like fun as long as dad was the parent that stayed with him and his friends (apparently, I'm also the NOT FUN MOM!).

So, 4 of his best soccer buddies spent the night with him and Eddie. They had a great time. I didn't get tons of details. There was a very brief phone call with Eddie that ended abruptly after he yelled, "BOYS!! You can't go on the roof. SHUT THE WINDOW. I gotta go." Everyone was tired the next day, and Owen was happy. Very happy. And tired.
And that, is the best kind of birthday to have.

4 comments:

Rudd Family said...

Happy Birthday Owen!

Toni said...

AWESOME! What a great 10 year old party! So, so, soooo fun! Real glad you can share your experiences about your preteen because I'm going to keep my 9 year old for a couple more years!

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

awesome post. "no, you cannot go on the roof" is my new favorite quote from eddie. happy birthday owen! 10. sheesh. how did that happen? i remember when he was born!!!!

Amy Axe said...

Happy Birthday Owen! What a fun way to celebrate! I hear you with all of the preteen business. We are in it too! Crazy how fast they grow up!