Monday, July 5, 2010

To this!


027, originally uploaded by megan bauer.

All in a short 2 years and 6 months - isn't that amazing?

Henry climbed out of his crib at the end of May and completely shocked me. Owen and Emmett NEVER climbed out of their cribs. In fact, if I put them in a crib now - they still might not be able to climb out. They're rational kids. Not adventurous. Henry - not so much. Out he went. I had no intention of putting him in a big bed until he was 3 or older...he slept SO well in his crib. Darn it!

So, now he's in a big bed. And not sleeping well. He rarely naps for more than an hour. And, he gets out of bed numerous times before finally settling down.

And, if this wasn't bad enough - try this - he ALWAYS makes his way to our bed by about 1 - 2 AM - ALWAYS! What is it with my kids and our bed??? Thankfully, Owen and Emmett don't join us quite as much as they used to - oh...probably only about once or twice a week. Which is great - since Henry is in there EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! Now, I know what you're thinking. WALK HIM RIGHT BACK. RIght? That's totally what you were thinking. Except guess what? Eddie and I don't even know he's joined us until we roll over about 4 or 5 AM and notice him in there. I rolled over once about 3 AM and heard a big thud. He had cozied up next to me without me knowing...I rolled over and he fell out. Owen and Emmett always woke us before they joined us, "MOM - can I sleep w/ you?" Henry is much more stealth (and smart). He just climbs in.

The ONLY reason I know that he usually joins us about 1 - 2 AM is that he isn't in our bed when I get home from work at about 1200-1230 AM. But, once when I was working late and got home from work around 130 - Eddie was having a "tent" party w/ the big boys downstairs and Henry was asleep at the top of the stairs....like he got up and went to move to our room...noticed we weren't there and was headed downstairs. Thankfully, he didn't fall all the way down the stairs!

So...the question is: how do we solve this problem, when we're not awake to walk him back??? This is probably a rhetorical question and we're just going to have to get used to him sleeping with us. It won't continue forever, right?

8 comments:

Tasha Roe said...

way to go henry!
it must be a "third child" thing because my older boys NEVER climbed out of their beds but Ella did - at 18 months. She is a M.O.N.K.E.Y! we put her in her big girl bed about a week after her 2nd birthday and she loves it. so funny and yet so crazy how fast the past 2 years have gone!

Southworth Crew said...

We have a door knob thingy (the real tentacle term) on the inside of her room. Our room is down stairs and we have the baby monontor in there still. She dose great if she get our of bed she looks at books or plays with her toys. Give the door knob thingy a try : )

Rudd Family said...

Hi Megan,

I emailed you the rental house info, let me know if you don't get it.

I'd say, if it's not interupting your sleep, I'd probably let him stay. They grow up too fast!

Rudd Family said...

Hi Megan,

I emailed you the rental house info, let me know if you don't get it.

I'd say, if it's not interupting your sleep, I'd probably let him stay. They grow up too fast!

Toni said...

Luv the pics! Wish I had words of wisdom for you; sounds like he's smarter than his tired parents. That must mean he deserves to be in there- ha! hahaha!

Amy Coffman Phillips said...

aww. i love these updates. ellie was in a big bed (with rails) at 2 but that's because we kicked her out of the crib for jake to have it. she never gets out of her bed without asking. but when she wakes up in the middle of the night, i usually let her sleep with us. our bed is big and it doesn't bother us. go with what works.

Amy Axe said...

We couldn't break Cooper's habit so we just enjoyed snuggled our little guy and eventually about middle of last year he started sleeping all night in his own bed!

Amy Axe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.